Public Housing FAQ

picture 002.JPG

The Beloit Housing Authority is taking applications for 1 and 2 bedroom elderly/disabled/handicapped and 2, 3, 4 and 5 bedroom family units in Public Housing. Applications must be submitted to the Beloit Housing Authority with all necessary verifications for consideration.

There is low-income Public Housing owned and operated by the Housing Authority throughout the City of Beloit.  There are 90 units for families and 41 units for elderly/disabled/handicapped households.

What is Public Housing?

Public housing was established to provide decent and safe rental housing for eligible low-income families, the elderly, and persons with disabilities.  Public housing in the City of Beloit includes single family homes, duplexes, townhomes, and one-bedroom apartments for elderly/handicapped. These properties are federally funded through the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), and administered by the Beloit Housing Authority.

Am I eligible for public housing?

To be eligible for participation, an applicant must meet HUD's criteria.  HUD eligibility factors are:

  • The applicant must be a "family" (see below)
  • The family's annual income may not exceed the applicable income limit (see table below).
  • All family members six months or older must provide a Social Security number or certify they don't have one.
  • Applicant must furnish evidence of citizenship or eligible immigration status.

What is the definition of a family?

  • Non-elderly = two or more persons living in the same household.
  • Elderly = head or sole member that is 62 or older
  • Disabled = medically determined physically or mentally impaired

What is the income limit for Public Housing?


# Persons

Income Limit


 What happens if I am found eligible?

Applicants for the public housing waiting list will be placed on the waiting list according to the time and date the application was received at the Beloit Housing Authority and by bedroom size. Families may be eligible for local preferences. Families who qualify for local preferences will be placed ahead of families with no local preferences.

What are preferences? (All preferences require verification/documentation)

  • Beloit Residency = You live, work, or attend school within the zip code boundary of Beloit, Wisconsin.
  • Your family income falls between 0%-30% of the Rock County Median Income.
  • Displaced by federal, state, or local declared disaster within the last 6 months.
  • An honorably discharged U.S. Veteran.
  • A family member needs a handicap accessible unit because of a disability.
  • Participant in a program for victims of Domestic Violence.
  • Graduate (within last 6 months) of a Transitional Housing Program (verification listing entry and graduation dates required).

How long will I be on the waiting list?

The approximate waiting time for Public Housing is determined by the number of applicants for each bedroom size and availability of vacant units.

The waiting list is purged (updated) once a year. Each name on the waiting list is mailed an update form to the address that is on file with the BHA. The forms must be completed and returned by the deadline, or the applicant's name will be removed from the waiting list. If the applicant moves and does not notify the BHA of their change of address, resulting in their purge form being returned as undeliverable, their name will be removed from the waiting list. If your name is removed you will have to reapply for assistance and provide all new documentation with the application. It is the applicant's responsibility to notify the Beloit Housing Authority (BHA) if their address changes.
When Public Housing units become available, applicants on the top of the waiting list for the available unit size will be pulled by the Occupancy Specialist. The Occupancy Specialist will conduct a criminal history check. Ineligible applicants will be notified and offered an opportunity for an informal hearing. Eligible applicants will then be notified by mail of a Public Housing Briefing.

What is a briefing?

When the Public Housing Authority (PHA) selects a family to participate in the Public Housing Program, the PHA gives the family an oral briefing. The briefing will include a description of how the program works. The applicant will be informed that the utilities must be in an adult household member's name. Adult family members must sign release and consent forms and are informed that the Housing Specialist will verify present and previous rental history, income information, and may conduct a home visit of the family's present address.

Applicants may decide not to accept Public Housing and wait for their name to come to the top of the Section 8 waiting list. A form indicating their denial of Public Housing must be signed and submitted to the BHA if they choose to wait for Section 8. This only applies if your name is on the Section 8 wait list at the time you come to the top of the Public Housing list, check with the Occupancy Specialist before waiving your right to Public Housing!

When will I be offered a unit?

When a determination has been made that an applicant is eligible and satisfies all requirements for admission, the applicant will be offered a unit when the next vacancy occurs. Applicants may choose to not accept the unit that is offered to them and opt to wait for a more suitable unit. Applicants may refuse up to 3 units before his/her name is removed from the Public Housing Waiting List.

The Beloit Housing Authority may deny admission to any applicant whose habits and practices may be expected to have a detrimental effect on other residents, or on the property's environment.

Reasons for denial may include, but not limited to:

  • Insufficient or false information supplied by applicant
  • Negative landlord references
  • Applicant not able to have utilities connected in adult household member's name
  • Eviction; eviction from Public Housing, or a Section 8 Program
  • Drug activity, violent criminal activity, and/or history of criminal activity
  • Owing money to any Housing Authority throughout the United States, including the Beloit Housing Authority. [CFR 982.552 (5)(c)(v)]

How is rent determined?

Your rent is determined by a HUD calculation using a combination of your income minus allowable deductions; the resident pays 30% of their adjusted monthly income for rent.

How do I apply?

A person may apply by doing one of the following:

  • Pick up an application at the Beloit Housing Authority(BHA) office Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday 8:30 am-4:30 pm or Wednesday 12 noon-4:30 pm.
  • Download and print the complete application, release of information form and zero income questionnaire (if no household income).
  • Submit the completed application with all appropriate documentation as outlined on the cover page of the application packet for processing in person Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, or Friday 8:30 am - 4:30 pm.
  • Applications returned without all required documentation will not be processed and will be returned to the applicant with instructions to complete the application.
Last updated 4/4/2016 3:19:52 PM